Reflective Task 1: Emotional self-management.
For me, the
emotions that more difficult to manage when others disagree with me are:
I
think that the emotions most difficult to manage when some disagree with me
are, frustration because I want to convinced that person that what I’m saying
it is true, even when I give real facts. Another emotion it is kind of anger
because people that do not believe me or in what I’m saying are annoyed, for
me, and that becomes into a feeling of anger in me.
I deal with this by:
Trying
to keep calm and controlling my thoughts because sometimes I tend to be a bit
of aggressive in terms of vocabulary. So, what I try to do is to keep calm and
look at the other person's perspectives or point of views and see if what they
are saying is valid based on the reasons, they give me. As Cottrell, S. (2005)
said, it is not necessary to be a good critical thinker to identify if the
reasons provided by a person are valid or weak.
Reflective
Task 2: Influences on my thinking.
For me, the influences on my own thinking that I need to be most
aware of so they don’t prejudice my thinking are:
I
would say that are my beliefs because maybe what I believe in, it is not
something that the other person would believe in too. Thus, this probably will
create discord among the participants during a debate, for instance. Also, these
beliefs might affect the reasons I’m given during a class discussion or
something else.
I deal with this by:
Not
letting my beliefs get in the way. Thinking that the rest of the people have
also their own beliefs and that they might be dealing with this similar situation
as well.
Reflective
Task 3: Challenging opinions.
For me, the thing I find most difficult about challenging the opinions
of other people are:
Having
a clear and understanding counter-argument or reason to challenge the validity
of that opinion. Also, I get nervous because I don’t know if what I’m going to
say it is relevant or if I’m not going to drift from the topic.
I deal with these by:
Trying
to clear my mind and focus on what the person's opinion is about by analyzing
it very carefully.
Reflective
Task 4:
Do you recognize anything of yourself in Bodner’s description of students?
What effect would the approach he suggests have on your learning and
understanding?
Yes,
sometimes I do not question why do I believe in what I believe, just because I
read it in a book or article does not mean that it is valid and right. Furthermore,
I usually do not reflect on the idea of how did I learn what I know nor what
made believe that because it is something that, I consider, once you know that
it is from a "truthful" site you do not care about if whether the
information is true or not.
The
effects that this would have on my learning might be the insecurity at the
moment of posing my reasons.
Reflective
Task 5:
Consider what you could to manage these barriers of critical
thinking in the next few months:
During
the next few months I will try to learn more methods and strategies to think
critically and to learn how to give my reasons in a good way.
I'll
try to practice more at home if possible, and practice during the classes.
Finally,
I will be more careful when paying attention to the reasons and points of view
of my classmates and even during my everyday life.
I promise you as your classmate, and your friend, that I am going to support you in those goals that you mentioned before in this blog. I commit to help you and I hope that you help me in the same process of wanting to have a better critical and creative thinking.
ResponderEliminarI hope we can exchange knowledge and activities.
I love you so much! let's move on!
Dear Oscar, it is good to see how you are improving in order to be better, and trying not to act impulsively; trying to be calm and to control yourself. I found that very hard, because I know how it is be in the same position. About your challenges, anybody is perfect, so, do not worry if sometime you make a mistake, we are here to learn everyday. Good reflections Oscar.
ResponderEliminarHi, dear! For me, something relevant is that you know that not all people have the same beliefs. I believe that it is a factor that all people should develop, because no one knows what situations others have gone through. It is ideal to respect the opinion of others but not hide our own beliefs.
ResponderEliminarHi Oscar!
ResponderEliminarI felt very glad to read what you wrote about dealing with your mood and frustration when you are discussing with someone. The best way to start improving is to accept you have to change, and I consider you are very aware of that. I hope you really managed to overcome these problems. Continue changing, and improving!