Task 6: Critical commentary of the lecture "Where is the Outrage? Critical Pedagogy in Dark Times" by Dr. Henry Giroux
Where is the Outrage? Critical
Pedagogies in Dark Times.
Personally, I want to address how very eye-opening was listening to this
lecture because it gave me reasons that made me question the way I am teaching
the classes at school where I work and the way I was taught back during my
school years. How the education I received at school was in a very similar to
the one that Dr. Giroux explained how education is conceived nowadays.
He stated that education has become a pathway to the job and that schools
have become training centers that measure the knowledge through a metric
system. Rather than studying to find a job, it is crucial to understand and
overcome the crisis that the country is immersed in. But, to reach this understanding
it is necessary to engage students critically in attempts to solve these
problems that affect our reality.
During the years of school and high school, I never had a teacher that
addressed these kinds of situations like poverty, corruption, globalization, etc.,
and especially from a critical perspective. My knowledge was always measured
through a system that I was used to since I was a child. I never heard of politics
at school and all of that made a naïve and blind of what was really happening. Not
because of the teachers, but the politics that exist in the country to control
education and therefore the teachers and students.
Currently, hopefully, those political, social and democratic issues are
being considered due to the questioning of these subjects of matter bu the
students, especially from universities. We are realizing these issues
concerning the way the classes are being taught. That through critical
perspectives we can address and explain topics of interest and relevance for
the student. One thing that I find most interesting, and that Dr. Giroux mentioned,
is the study groups to discover or find out new things together not only among
students but in the society as well.
Yes, Oscar, i strongly agree with you, when you say that this is not techer's fault in terms of not adressing topics as poverty, ecnonomic system that has taken the economy of the world. This is the way how the system of government has involved us, making us blind from birth to accept any inequity.
ResponderEliminar